Thursday, February 2, 2012

What confuses you most in life, and why? (University of Virginia)

Things that confuse me is when a person says something, but then they never stick to it. If a person says to you I will take you out to lunch next week. Then that person should stick to his or her word. Why say something and then never end up doing it? People who want to lose weight say that they are going to eat less and exercise more, but what they end up doing is missing healthy meals and cooking noodles for themselves. Which doesn't really help them lose any weight instead one just gains more weight. When you say your going to end up doing that one thing, then well one must try to actually make that thing happen. If you make a promise to meet your friend, make it happen. Because if you don't you end up crushing your friends hope. Why do people say things that they know they will never be able to do? Not only do you waste your time by saying things, but also the other persons who is listening to you.

Another thing that confuses me is when people tell me about the best conversation they had, they did not talk they just sat down without speaking a word to each other. How is that a conversation? If you both were silent then thats not really a conversation. A conversation means speaking and having something to talk about, not sitting down quietly trying to listen to each others heart beat? Maybe the two have this gift that they don't need to literally talk, but maybe their minds connect. However, thats still not a conversation. I always thought that a conversation has to be between two people, where people actually talk.

5 comments:

  1. I like this post because I think a lot of what is mentioned is really true. I wonder if people try to do too much, which is why they don't carry through with their goals? It reminds me of New Year's Resolution... many people can not keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it is basic human nature to make promises and regulations and then forget about it.
    I completely agree that even when people start dieting, they won't eat anything for one day and eat twice the amount of food they usually eat on the other day.
    And I don't think you ever had or can have a silent conversation so how do you know about one ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post because we have been in that dieting and working out situation. We were supposed to diet and we just baked cookies...and yesterday it was spaghetti and the day before it was fryams. And about working out we were supposed to go to the gym from today but we woke up only at 7:00am.
    My point is, before expecting others to keep their promises that they made, we should stick to our commitments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we have made many promises that we would like to keep, and especially working out one, yes, I know we went to the gym every morning last semester, but I wonder what happened to the rest of the semester when we didn't get to going. Jyotika, yes I completely understand why you would want someone to keep to their promises, but sometimes, a person just can't do it. There would be times where you would have just got yourself into situation which you could not have gotten out of where your commitment was already present, but you could not finish it. As Harshit has stated above, it is human nature to forget about something things, because you know, no one man or woman is perfect.

      Delete
  4. Fuzzy has a point, but this post has some valid accusations too (if I may call it that).
    I agree that it' very disappointing when people don't keep their word or their resolutions. They should have more realistic goals of which they can see the end in sight.
    One negative I'd like to point out about this post is that the way it's written is very accusatory in its nature and sounds more like things that annoy you, than things that confuse you.
    The same ideas expressed in a different manner may have been received more openly.
    It's still a great post though, because it can start off intense and controvercial discussions (Which can get quite exciting sometimes :P).

    ReplyDelete