Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tell us about the neighborhood that you grew up in and how it helped shape you into the kind of person you are today. (Yale and the University of Chicago)

Studying in an international school and having friends that belong to different parts of the world has shaped me as a person. I have spent my childhood living in a boarding school. At first the sight of a boarding school looked scary and somewhat like a prison, but I soon came to love this place, my school. I was in third grade when I learned how to put my bed sheet on, to wake up on my own, to keep my cupboard clean, and the area around me neat and tidy. For if I had not gone to boarding school at such a young age I would have never learned the basic life skills needed in everyday life. Well maybe I would have learned them, but I would not have learnt them at such a young age. Learning to do things from when I was seven years old helped me to improve on them. At first I had no clue how to put a bed sheet on. The other older girls would have to help me. Soon I learned, and I could do it on my own with perfection. Being put in with other girls who share the same room, I soon learned to respect their privacy and their space. I learned to share my things such as food with other people, and not be greedy about it. I learned to keep my cupboard clean, and over the years I had the time to experiment in ways to set it up, without having to redo my cupboard every Sunday. I grew up with friends who at first I hated, but soon over the years came to love. My friends and I would fight over the smallest things, we were little and knew little about stress. I came to know that eventually you get sick of sticking to one person, and no matter how much you love them need some time to be away from them.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting -- dorms are your neighborhoods. If you wanted to work on this concept, think about it like this: Describe each of the dorms you have lived in, and write about what you learned in each one. Could be a great essay.

    ReplyDelete