Monday, December 12, 2011

Tell us about a person who influenced your life in a significant way. (Princeton)

My aunt has influenced my life greatly. Though we are not blood related. She is my angel who came to my rescue. Before she came to my life, I knew nothing about the world, or the people. Once I met her, I truly began to understand who I am, and what I want. She helped me to see that it is okay to express yourself, even in the strangest ways. I always had a restricted view of the world. I thought that bad people were just bad. I never looked or tried to understand their side of the story.
My Aunt taught me to be considerate of others, to love the people around me for who they are, not what I want them to become.
I always thought that going for counseling was crazy. After all why would people want to discuss their life, with a stranger. But my Aunt taught me that talking about your feelings is the best way to deal with them. Coming from an Indian family, where no one talks about their feeling, the concept of counseling was all knew to me. But just talking to people about things that trouble you is probably the best way to heal yourself.
She taught me that there is evil in the world, but that there is also good. What we need to make sure of is that the good wins over the evil.
She never forced me to believe in something, or not believe in something. She helped me discover what I thought.
She taught me not to be embarrassed if I took a bus or BMW, the fact is both do their job perfectly. They get you where you want.
Most importantly she taught me to believe in myself, and the person I may one day become. Because no matter what other people believe I can do nothing will matter until I believe in myself.

1 comment:

  1. Your aunt seems like an amazing woman. I can see that she has taught you well. You are a person who knows what she wants and will try her level best to get it. You are determined and compassionate, she is proud of you; I'm sure of that.

    Instead of saying she is "my angle who came to my rescue," you should say is is "an angle who came to rescue me." Other than that, it was an amazing post. I'm glad you put yourself out there. :)

    ReplyDelete